Sunday, November 13, 2011

Memories...


I have been thinking about all the random pages of my story that will never get published. The filler pages that no one really wants to read, but little paragraphs that I carry with me as I travel through the pages of my story:

1. The time that I was hanging out with my friend Toni in good ol' Raytown, Missouri. We went to get into some trouble at a friends house and as I walked through the front yard to get to the house, I heard someone yell out the window from upstairs:
"DON'T EVER WALK THROUGH A BLACK PERSON'S YARD!!"

I never walk through people's yards. Especially if they are black.

2. My family went to eat at this wonderful place called Grandy's in KC. I was probably 10 years old. I accidentally left my purse there. I am not sure if I got the purse back, but the feeling of losing all of my little 'precious' things was horrible.

I have never forgotten my purse, keys or phone.

3. While in Jamaica, the group I was with went cliff jumping into a most beautiful lagoon.
I am scared of heights and big water (oceans). 
I am also not the best swimmer and can only hold my breathe for about 4 seconds.
As I was mid air, I remembered all of these things. 
I think this one sums up how I go about life:

Pray. Jump. Figure it out as you go. Make a beautiful memory. Don't ever do it again. 


What are some memories that effect who you are today?

1 comment:

  1. one of my favorite posts. There is a vulnerability about it that I love. Ok. A memory. Summer before 6th grade I went to Turkey Creek camp and had to slide down a tree to get to this stupid hike on a mountain. I was so afraid of heights and mountains, but i went ahead and did it. I swore to myself that I would not do it again. Then, at 23, while in Germany, I decided that I had to climb a tree to conquer my ridiculous fear. I did. It was one of those epic moments for me. I climbed a tree and laughed at how stupid I probably looked to anyone. I climbed another one. I look forward to another one.

    ReplyDelete